Facts About Basildon
History of Basildon
The first historical reference to Basildon is in records from 1086. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as ‘Belesduna’. The name ‘Basildon’ may be derived from the Anglo-Saxon personal name ‘Boerthal’ and the Anglo-Saxon word ‘dun’, meaning hill. In historical documents, this name had various forms over the centuries, including Berdlesdon, Batlesdon and Belesduna. Railway service started in the 19th century to Pitsea and Laindon. But it was only later that proposals to provide service to the new town of Basildon. Shelved for many years because of concerns that it would simply become a commuter suburb of London, were eventually forced through.
In the 1940s, Billericay Urban District Council and Essex County Council, concerned by lack of amenities in the area and by its development, petitioned the Government to create a New Town. Basildon was one of eight ‘New Towns’ created in the South East of England after the passing of the New Towns Act. On 4 January 1949 Lewis Silkin, Minister of Town and Country Planning, officially designated Basildon as a ‘New Town’. Basildon Development Corporation was formed in February 1949 to transform the designated area into a modern new town.